The Salal Foundation is a vehicle through which donors can support important charitable activities. The Gift Acceptance Policy is designed to provide guidance to the public to facilitate the gift giving process. It clarifies the mission of the Salal Foundation and the roles, responsibilities and expectations of both the Salal Foundation and its donors.
- The Salal Foundation is a registered charity with charitable business number #898470513RR0001.
- Staff and Directors of the Salal Foundation may inform, serve, guide or otherwise assist donors, who wish to support Salal’s activities, but are not to pressure or unduly persuade.
- The Salal Foundation reserves the right to decline a gift.
- Staff, Contractors and Directors of the Salal Foundation shall encourage the donor to discuss the proposed gift with independent professional advisors of the donor’s choice so that the donor may receive a full and accurate explanation of all aspects of the proposed charitable gift.
- Salal’s Chair, or their delegate, is authorized to review planned gift agreements with prospective donors. Gifts will be planned to reflect the donors’ charitable interests and the Salal Foundation’s purposes and priorities.
- All proposed planned gift arrangements requiring execution by the Salal Foundation shall be reviewed and approved as to form and content by independent legal counsel. Where substantially the same agreement is used repeatedly, only the prototype needs to be approved.
- Gift related costs such as legal fees, appraisals, real estate commissions and taxes relating to acceptance, maintenance, management or re-sale of a gift or property, will normally be the responsibility of the donor, unless the Salal Foundation agrees to assume responsibility for any portion of these items.
- The Salal Foundation will obtain independent opinions of the value of gifts other than cash. The valuation of gifts of publicly listed securities is made by the the Salal Foundation’s brokerage service.
- Salal Foundation (employees and Directors) will not serve as executor of a donor’s will or trustee of a charitable remainder trust.
- Donors’ wishes of recognition or anonymity regarding a gift will be respected except as required by law.
Records of donations and grants are maintained by the Salal Foundation to ensure compliance with Canada Revenue Agency regulations.